Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Various Hands, This Party Will Be Fun


Every once in awhile I step outside of the political punk genre for this blog and give some props to independent bands worth a mention.  This week I’ve been treated to two pre-release tunes by the Saint Louis band Various Hands. Their debut EP, This Party Will Be Fun, is being released in a month or so and I was lucky enough to get some advance singles. The tunes, especially Blackout Weekend, stir up my often hidden but still somewhat operational happy and fun sides. Vocalist Jeff Nations has a pleasant and sincere delivery with moments of impressive passion and energy.  The songwriting and musical performances are equally pleasurable.  I especially like the breakdowns, shifting melodies, and guitar parts. For me, the vibe of the songs bring forth a feeling of strolling around a beautiful park on a low humidity 80 degree summer day with the people I love smiling all around me.  Not much music moves me like that nowadays.  Various Hands has a certain happy go lucky aura without all the clichés that makes me want to listen to them more.  They really do deliver the goods.

Like them on facebook and/or check out their debut EP release party at Saint Louis’ The Firebird on November 26.  I just might be there, and I'd be willing to wager that I'd leave pretty happy.

1 comment:

  1. Very bad album! If you took a few people that didn't really know how to play an instrument and told them to play together - this album is what you would end up with. I honestly don't know what is worse, the overall song composition, the actual playing of instruments (espicially the guitar), or the lyrics that have the sophistication I would expect from an 8 year old. If you are having a really bad day and want to make it worse, buy this album.

    ReplyDelete